Caring before and after rhinoplasty
Although rhinoplasty is a cosmetic procedure, it is important to have proper care before and after it. The reason is also clear because the nose is a sensitive organ and the slightest damage to it causes disturbance to human breathing. A complication that may affects all one’s life. Therefore, people seeking rhinoplasty should carefully consider and follow the advice of physicians before and after surgery. If your doctor is highly experienced and committed, he/she will provide you with the necessary explanations, as is done in Iran. Thousands of rhinoplasty procedures are performed every year in Iran, which has given Iranian physicians and nurses a great experience in this field and so they provide useful and effective information to patients.
Caring before rhinoplasty
Before performing rhinoplasty, you need to:
• Do not take aspirin or similar pills for a period of at least two weeks as prescribed by your doctor. These drugs dilute blood and prevent it from clotting. As a result, bleeding during or after surgery does not simply stop.
• Avoid smoking and nicotine at least 15 days before surgery. Because they narrow the blood vessels and disrupt blood circulation.
• Fasting on the day of the operation means at least 8 hours have passed since your last meal or drink. A full stomach can interfere with the procedure.
• Drink enough water at the day before surgery.
• Bathe the day before surgery and wipe off any cosmetic effects on your skin. Do not have nail polish, artificial nails or makeup on the day of surgery.
• Remove your jewelry. You should not wear jewelry during surgery.
• Don’t eat herbs and foods that raise blood pressure like salt, garlic, ginger, ginseng, vitamin E, fish oil and so on two weeks before rhinoplasty.
• If you are taking a particular medicine or have a particular illness, you must tell your doctor.
• Wear buttoned clothing so that it will not be difficult to replace it and that the clothing will not hit the nose.
Caring after rhinoplasty
Recovery of rhinoplasty varies depending on the condition of the patients. But generally the initial recovery is after 3-4 days and the dressing is removed within 6 to 10 days after the doctor’s approval.
In the first 24 hours after surgery, the most important side effects for the patient are discoloration around the nose and under the eyes and anesthetic effects. The bruises may be in different colors from yellow to purple. In the early hours after recovery, use drinks that are prescribed by the medical staff to eliminate the effect of the anesthetic. It is normal to have headaches, swelling, bruises and bleeding during this time. You can use ice compresses, pineapple juice, celery juice or aloe vera juice to reduce swelling and bruising.
Other things you need to follow after performing a nose surgery are:
• Continue using cold compresses to relieve bruising and swelling of the face in the eye and around the nose for up to 24 hours and if needed, up to 48 hours. Don’t worry about the bruises, after a week a lot of them disappear. But the full recovery of swelling that result from fluid build-up can take 2 to 14 weeks.
• Use soft or mixed liquids or foods for up to a day after surgery. Don’t eat any foods or fruits that need to be chewed, such as apples or carrots, and so on.
• Avoid air travel in the first few days after surgery.
• Ask your doctor for the best bath time. Don’t have a hot water bath in the early days.
• Open your mouth for sneezing or coughing to put less pressure on the nose.
• Do not put pressure on your nose as it may cause bleeding. Avoid blowing your nose for at least 15 days.
• If your nose has been a bone, do not breathe in high pressure after a rhinoplasty, such as when you have a nasal congestion.
• Avoid laughing or talking too much. Also, do not touch your nose with your hands.
• Avoid salt or foods and beverages that raise blood pressure in the first 15 days.
• At least for 2-weeks or 1-month, put some pillows under your head while you sleep, so that your head is up. This will put less pressure on your nose when you sleep.
• Use a soft toothbrush to brush.
• Avoid alcoholic beverages. This will open the veins of the nose and increase the risk of bleeding.
• Avoid wearing sunglasses or glasses for as long as two months.
• It is recommended not to be exposed to direct sunlight for a month after nose surgery or to use sunscreen if necessary.
• Although one week after rhinoplasty you can have current life activities or get to work, do not lift heavy objects in the first weeks, do not have physical activity and do not bend your head.
• Avoid sexual intercourse for at least 10 days.
How to rinse your nose after rhinoplasty?
One of the most important things to do after a nose surgery is a proper nose wash. Pay attention to the recommendations of medical staff about nose cleaning. During the first few days, you may need to gently wash the outer part of the nose with a cotton swab or ear pad soaked in oxygenated water. But after removing the bandage you need to clean your nose twice a day. Cleansing the fat secreted by the skin glands will improve nasal swelling in less time. Of course, nose cleaning should be done with great care. There should be no slight pressure to the nose and no change in position.
Some patients may also experience nasal congestion due to the presence of blood or nasal mucosa. These patients usually have to breathe out of their mouths. If you have this problem, your doctor will give you a spray for cleansing. Keep using them until recovery and troubleshooting.
What to do if we have bleeding or pain?
Bleeding after rhinoplasty is not common. High blood pressure is one of the factors that may lead to bleeding, which may be caused by anesthetics or by taking certain foods. So try not to raise your blood pressure. If the bleeding is not severe, rest so that your head is above the body. You can use ice compresses to reduce bleeding. But if the bleeding continues or becomes severe, sure see your surgeon.
If you have a little pain after rhinoplasty, don’t worry. If so, your doctor will prescribe painkillers for you. But keep in mind that you should not take medicines like aspirin, ibuprofen, advil, etc. without your doctor’s consent, as they dilute blood and increase blood pressure.
How to use nasal strips?
Nasal strips are used to reduce swelling and formation of the nose and depends on patients’ conditions, it begins about 15 days after surgery and may take up to 2 months. In fact, the thickness of a person’s skin determines how long they need to use nasal strips. For some people, this can take up to 6 months.
When replacing nasal strips, you should wash the skin around the nose with lukewarm water and soap to remove excess grease. After drying the skin, apply new strips.
What needs to be treated urgently?
If you experience the following symptoms, tell your doctor immediately:
• Clear and new blood coming out of the nose
• Fever above 38 degrees Celsius
• Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if continued and not interrupted
• Confused mode
• Shortness of breath or high heart rate
Those who experience rhinoplasty in Iran rarely experience acute problems or complications. Parts of the complications after rhinoplasty are due to medical errors. But in Iran, due to the experience of surgeons and medical staff, the percentage of these errors has decreased.